CHURCH OF OUR LADY LIANCOURT-ST-PIERRE
At the outset, the village of Liancourt-Saint-Pierre
was made up of two parishes: Our-Lady of Liancourt and Saint Peter. By
command of the king, the two parishes were united as Our-Lady of the Assumption
on March 4, 1791,
It is believed that the current edifice
was built in the XIth
century but it is impossible to date it more precisely. The church is located
at the north of the Rougette quarter. It is 26,40 meters high and 30 meters
long. It had the shape of a Latin cross until the XVIth
century when the northern transept was added.
XVth century vault
is of Gothic style. It was donated by Canon Pihan in 1898 Pihan Canon,
replacing the wooden one. The altar at the end is characteristic of church
furnishings in the first half of XIXth
century and was offered by the abbot Jean-François Duval, priest
of the parish from 1835 to 1871. The picture represents the Assumption
of the Virgin Mary, principal patron of the parish. Around the altar, the
statues of Saint Roch and the Blessed Virgin date from the XVIIth
century. The stained glass windows depict the marriage of the Virgin and
her crowning by the Holy Trinity.
The CHAPEL of the BLESSED VIRGIN (Northern Transept)
chapel of the Blessed Virgin is on the left of the choir. Built in the
XVIth century it is of flamboyant ogival style. It was the chapel
of the lords of Liancourt, the Pellevé family. Robert Pellevé
was buried there in 1579. The tombstones were removed in 1840, with the
installation of the banks and the pavement. It is lit by three windows
with arched spans. The stained glass windows represent the handing-over
of the rosary to Sainte Domenica by the Virgin Mary, the Annunciation by
the Angel Gabriel and the death of Saint Louis.
The CHAPEL of SAINT BARBE (Southern Transept)
Saint Barbe chapel is found to the right of the choir. The saint's statue
is above the altar. The confessional has been here since the XIXth
century. The stained glass windows depict Saint Peter and Saint Cecile,
patron saint of musicians.
pews were installed in the XIIth
century Nave in 1840. Staues of Saint Antoine and Saint John the Baptist
are placed here. The Steps of the Cross were offered by Canon Pihan as
a memorial to the first mass which he celebrated on March 14, 1869.
is in the gallery at the end of the church. The organ loft is supported
by two pillars framing the alley of the nave. It was inaugurated on June
29, 1842, patronal feast of Saint Peter. It was offered by abbot Jean-François
Duval. It was built by the Factor Lété of Mirecourt (Vosges).
It was bought as a kit, chosen from an advertising leaflet. It has been
restored on different occasions and is used for the various celebrations.
The bell-tower dates from XIth
century and is the oldest part of the church. It sits on four large ogival
arcades, at the entrance to the choir. On the pillars: statues of the Virgin
Mary and Saint Peter. They come from the old church of the priory of Saint
Peter. The statue of Saint Peter was formerly in front of the gate of the
old church. Four bells were placed in the bell-tower in 1860. Three are
still in service, the fourth, the largest, is cracked. They are rung manually.
ON THE EXTERIEUR
statue of the Virgin was inaugurated on September 27, 1953 and the martyrdom
in 1949. These monuments were installed on the initiative of abbot Gicquel,
priest of Liancourt-Saint-Pierre from 1948 to 1975. A small turret with
a spiral staircase provides access to the organ loft and the roof. The
main door is installed in a stone frame of ogival form whose tympanum is
Source: Articles J Damblant. (books of the S.H.G.B.E. N°33...)
Translated by Stephen Hopkins